A coil of 20 turns of wire has a radius 0.5 cm and is connected to a power supply so that 0.4 A flows through the coil. At , the coil is at rest, current flows into the page at the top of the coil, and the plane of the coil makes an angle of with respect to a magnetic field of 0.5 T.
A coil in a uniform magnetic field.
- At the instant shown (t=0), what is the torque on the coil?
- In what direction will the loop rotate if it is released from rest?
- What is the magnetic potential energy of the loop at t=0?
- If the system is frictionless, what will be the kinetic energy of the coil when it reaches its equilibrium orientation?
- Describe the motion of the coil, even after a long time, if the system is frictionless.