An electron enters a region of uniform electric field between two closely spaced, oppositely charged plates as shown below with an initial speed of m/s. Upon exiting the region, it has been deflected upward. The horizontal displacement of the electron through the plates is 5 cm, and the plates are separated a distance 5 mm.
An electron deflected by oppositely charged plates.
- Sketch the electric field between the plates.
- Which plate is positively charged and which plate is negatively charged?
- Which plate is at a higher electric potential ?
- Sketch the path of the electron as it travels through the plates.
- If the vertical deflection of the electron is 1 mm, what is the potential difference across the plates?